Hello! We’re Maschinen-Mensch, an independent game studio founded in 2014 in Berlin, Germany. We made Curious Expedition 1 & 2 and Codecks.
We are working on a new game IP set in imaginative caves of an alien world, filled with peculiar creatures & vegetation. We are looking for a Concept Artist who wants to help us bring the game’s world to life by creating concept art for all areas of the game. We are looking for someone who has previous experience working with concept art for games and that enjoys problem-solving, creating new worlds, and likes to work self-sufficiently. We are a small and agile team and you will be working together with the Creative Director, Art Director, and 3D Artists in a creative environment to help develop the artistic style and vision of this imaginative project.
- Collaborate with Art Director, 3D Artists, and designers to create iterations of concept art in line with the creative vision and art style.
- Help evolve the art style and visual communication together with the rest of the art team.
- Work on world-building and come up with imaginative flora and fauna as well as building structures and machine parts.
- Create production concept art to assist 3D artists and game designers to help evolve ideas and provide artistic input.
- Give and take feedback and provide paint-overs of assets or levels under production.
- Use research and reference material to support idea generation.
- Portfolio examples that show a strong understanding of space, form, color, composition, and light.
- A portfolio that shows your process and understanding of the design process.
- Fluency in Photoshop or similar tools and an understanding of complementary software and tools.
- Able to adjust to new requirements and processes when required, experience working in an iterative, agile environment.
- Able to visually communicate your ideas and assimilate constructive feedback.
- Be proactive and self-motivated toward solving creative problems, and work without direct supervision.
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of 3D packages such as Blender
- Experience or interest in using a game engine
- Interest in alien worlds
What we offer:
- A relaxed, family-friendly working environment
- Being part of a small, diverse, international team
- Competitive salary
- 25 days paid yearly vacation
- The opportunity to work on a brand new game from an early stage
Although working remotely is possible, we’re looking for someone based in Germany, and who’s able to work and be available online during our core hours of operation 10am to 5pm CEST. If you’re based in Berlin (or willing to relocate) that’s definitely a plus, so that we can eventually work together in person. Our studio is located at Saftladen, an indie game collective and co-working space for game developers that we co-founded in 2015.
We particularly encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, people of colour, and other groups that are underrepresented throughout the game industry.
Earliest start date: June 2023
If you are interested in working with us, send us an email with your CV and links to examples of your work.
As long as this page is online it means we're still accepting applications!
Maschinen-Mensch Berlin-based indie game studio.
Made Curious Expedition, currently working on Curious Expedition 2 and Curious Case.