Senior Lighting Artist
As the Senior Lighting Artist you will create unforgettable atmospheres that light characters and environments, setting the atmosphere, tone, depth and mood of a scene. Following art direction requirements and supporting gameplay, you will strategically, yet seamlessly manipulate lighting to draw players' eyes to key areas, guiding them through a vibrant and immersive world.
Our mission at Riyo Games is to craft retro-infused JRPGs that awaken cherished childhood memories. We’re growing the studio by assembling a dream team of talent from across the globe. Join us on this epic quest to make fun, narrative-rich games in an inclusive, supportive and fun studio environment!
You’ll be working on Threads of Time, a 2.5D JRPG inspired by Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy where you get to travel from the pre-historic era to the end of time!
- Become part of a veteran team that includes legendary developers who led iconic titles such as Xenoblade Chronicles, Bravely Default, Final Fantasy, Octopath Traveler and more
- 4 weeks paid vacation (1 week of which is taken in late December)
- Collaborative environment with opportunities to contribute to the game’s creative design and take ownership of features
- Competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Opportunities to help you strengthen your skills or learn something new
- Workplace that appreciates and values diversity and inclusivity
- Set up light sources to support narrative elements and gameplay progression through the effective use of colour, light and mood
- Use lighting to help convey emotional experiences that are aligned with the artistic vision of the project
- Implement visual coherence of lighting throughout the whole game, ensuring lighting is optimal and technically correct
- Collaborate with the art team to enhance the look and feel of the game
- Refine lighting effects based on feedback, debugging when required
- Maintain and update lighting design and process documentation
- In-depth understanding and practical experience in lighting, composition, colour theory, texturing and image processing
- 3-5 years of experience lighting in video games
- Proven experience in creating lighting art with at least one delivered video game
- Aesthetic sensitivity with a strong artistic eye for subtle details
- Understanding of post processing procedures
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong documentation and visualization skills
- Ability to process, understand and implement feedback
- Self-motivated, with the ability to prioritize and deliver quality work within deadlines
- Previous environment design and/or texturing experience
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine
- Resident of Ontario or Quebec, Canada
- A love of JRPGs
Maybe you think that your experience is not where it should be? Or you don’t meet every requirement listed in this job description? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they don’t think they meet every qualification. But we feel that creating meaningful work means embracing different perspectives, which is why at Riyo Games we are focused on building an equitable, diverse and inclusive studio. If your experience is not perfectly aligned with every requirement in this job description, but you’re interested in this position, we encourage you to apply anyway. We simply want to know what makes you special!
Please note although this is a full-time remote position, applicants must reside in Canada. Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you!
Riyo Games is a Toronto based indie game studio focused on retro RPGs and memorable stories.