Senior Concept Artist, Weapons - Unpublished R&D Product
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring weapons and props to life. Drawing
inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling, and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will come up with visual solutions for game concepts, in-game content, and world building. As a member of the team, you will help your fellow team members to continue to raise the quality bar at the studio.
As a Concept Artist on the R&D team, you are responsible for creating and improving weapons for our games. You will keep the players' experience in mind as you work across disciplines to help build foundational rules and concepts. You will also work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new weapons to life.
- Ensure all concepts meet constraints / requirements of game needs
- Build, sketch, ideate, and iterate new weapon concepts in collaboration with other developers
- Craft detailed concept art for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Work within an ambiguous space and define styles that compliment our games’ IP
- Create a range of exemplary stylized assets
- Refine & Strengthen the concept art style through style guides, best practices, and communication with the team
- Understand and articulate the product’s distinctive visual style and help drive and maintain it
- Use your sense of hard surface design/mechanical forms to push weapon quality to its fullest potential
- Provide feedback to external partners
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the video game industry as a Concept Artist
- Professional experience working with Photoshop or other relevant painting/design tools
- Strong understanding of traditional artistic skills, composition, rendering, anatomy, color theory, perspective, lighting, and industrial design
- Strong linework and rendering skills
- Experience creating 3d block models to support concept work
- Strong ability to concept weapons or cosmetics
- Experience working with first / third person camera orientation in games, and how this affects visual clarity and game design
- Shipped a AAA title as a Concept Artist
- Experience creating previs VFX concepts
- Experience working with external developers
- Solid organization and production skills
- Ability to illustrate images used for promotional or in game art
- Experience with Unreal Engine 5
- Experience creating 2d illustrated flipbooks
- Ability to drive vision and execution across large sections of an IP
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code . Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming .