Senior Concept Artist
Senior Concept Artist
Employment Type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: El Segundo / Remote
Reporting To: Farren Fox
As a Senior Concept Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and the concept team to develop and conceptualize the art vision of our AAA games. You will set benchmark quality, guide and mentor the concept team. You’ll bring fresh ideas and expertise as a concept designer and storyteller to visually communicate and maintain a stylized art direction throughout the creation of world-class characters, props, environments and key art marketing materials.
- Collaborate with the Art Director and concept team to explore, develop and uphold the artistic vision of a game.
- Drive the development of Art Style Guides and Process Guides.
- Communicate and advocate the visual style of the game, sharing knowledge with the team to be sure that the vision and directions are understandable.
- Mentor and support a team of concept artists, provide design and technical feedback.
- Produce high-quality concept art covering all facets of game development, including characters, props, environments etc.
- Create mood paintings, color and lighting studies to inform and inspire.
- Create turnarounds, expressions/key poses sheet, material callouts for production use.
- Create key art illustrations for marketing and promotional materials.
What you’ll achieve (outcomes vs what people will do)
- Benchmark quality assets covering all aspects of style guides, creative briefs, concept design, key art, illustration, and research & development adhering to the overall art direction.
- A visual style that has broad appeal while being distinct and memorable.
- A concept team that is challenged, and supported to do their best work.
- An efficient and scalable concept art pipeline that can provide a foundation for future games shaped by constructive feedback and implemented solutions.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
What You’ll Need To Be Successful (competencies)
- A portfolio showcasing a broad of art styles that leans heavily toward stylized work.
- Strong proficiency in art fundamentals, design principles, anatomy, and color theory.
- High level of creativity and problem-solving skills with an ability to adapt game design considerations into artwork.
- Mastery of industry standard digital painting tools such as Photoshop.
- Ability to turn ideas into images, coupled with a desire to push the envelope.
- Commitment to the project and a desire to find the best possible way of inspiring others.
- Ability to communicate your creative vision, process, decisions, and rationale to team members and cross-functional stakeholders in a way that inspires and motivates.
- Enthusiasm for mentoring, and otherwise elevating the people around you to do their best work.
- Going beyond simply “illustrating”; focusing on function, interaction, progression, evolution, and storytelling.
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- Comprehensive Medical
- Life Insurance
- Free bike rentals
- Four weeks of vacation time
- Open to fully remote
- Training and development
- And more!
$140k to 180*
*Adjustment possible if located outside of LA