Senior Character Artist
Senior Character Artist - (Open to Remote)
Toys for Bob, a collaborative team of stellar individuals that have inspired love, joy, and laughter through epic AAA entertainment for more than 30 years, is open to remote work in the US, Canada, and UK! Our passion for developing award-winning games with diverse genres includes the Crash Bandicoot®, Call of Duty®, Overwatch®, Spyro®, Skylanders®, and Tony Hawk® franchises. We are constantly evolving and support our growing employees to be as innovative as they can be. Toys for Bob’s experienced developers are looking for creative individuals ready to take on exciting and new projects. Join us!
Toys for Bob is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, visit us at www.toysforbob.com and @ToysForBob on Twitter.
Portfolio: Portfolios are reviewed before resumes. Please be sure to provide an open portfolio link in your application. The portfolio will be reviewed for only this job. You may have a perfect portfolio for another position at our company, but the portfolio that is reviewed for this position must reflect this job specifically and the games that this studio makes. The recruiter cannot move applicants from one job pool to another. If you know you're an absolute pro, and your application was declined, please try again with a position that more closely aligns with exactly what is shown in your portfolio. Thanks!
This portfolio should show artistic styles that fit all of the games above and include images of 3D models . Unfortunately, we cannot pass portfolios on for review that do not include 3D models.
As a Senior Character Artist, you will report directly to our Art Director. The ideal candidate will create high-quality, detailed, and stylized character art for today’s generation of games.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with our Art Director and Character Artists to meet technical and aesthetic expectations
- Create amazing characters that are efficient, built to scale, and satisfy budgetary requirements
- Iterate based on feedback and modify work based on direction
- Create efficient UV layout for texture maps, hard surfaces, and organic models
- Promote a positive work environment through high personal and performance standards
- Verify art asset performance and appearance in the game engine
- 5+ years of proven experience in-game development as a Character Artist
- Proficiency in using Maya to create detailed characters to scale and accuracy
- Strong foundation and understanding of anatomy, drapery, and mechanical forms
- Ability to create detailed high poly models in Zbrush and Maya
- Solid understanding of UV coordinate space, texturing, and memory budgets
- Understanding of mesh topology and edge loops as it translates to efficient modeling practices for in-game characters
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Substance Painter to create hand-painted textures
- Experience in 3D character concepts and development process
- Proactive and work well in a large team environment with excellent interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solver, motivated, and driven to face challenges
- Shipped 1 or more AAA titles.
- Solid understanding of art pipelines and how to get the most out of them
- Experience working among art, design, and engineering teams
- Ability to give useful critiques of character models as well as receive feedback and art direction
- BS/BA/BFA degree in graphic design, fine arts, digital arts or similar
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovative worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Toys for Bob is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
About Activision Blizzard Media
Activision Blizzard Media is the gateway for brands to the #1 cross-platform gaming company in the western world, with hundreds of millions of players across over 190 countries. Our legendary portfolio includes iconic mobile game franchises such as Candy Crush™, esports opportunities like the Call of Duty® and Overwatch® Leagues, and some of the top PC and console gaming franchises such as World of Warcraft®, Call of Duty®, and StarCraft®.
The idea is simple: great game experiences offer great marketing experiences. We have built a new team to introduce innovative, impactful, and rewarding advertising experiences to our huge audience of highly-engaged players. We are looking for new talents to help take our emergent media offering to the next level.
We need all sorts of heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace, great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply can’t expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people.
Ready to play?
Come join our world and work alongside some of the best and brightest minds in the business.
All applications should be made in English.
Discover more at https://www.activisionblizzardmedia.com/
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .
In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $80,800.00 - $149,400.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Connecting and engaging the world through epic entertainment.