Lead Concept Artist
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and background impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we’ll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you’re passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
About the role (the mission, why this role exists, the thing you do over and over again)
As a Lead Concept Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Leadership to help conceptualize the visual style of our mobile games! You’ll bring your expertise as a visionary, designer and storyteller to lead a global team of passionate artists to visually communicate and maintain a stylized art direction throughout the creation of world-class environments, characters, props and key art marketing materials.
- Collaborate with the Game Director and Art Director to establish and execute the artistic vision of a game.
- Create designs for characters, creatures, props and environments to elevate the gameplay and overall player experience .
- Gather and catalog references, conduct competitive analysis and formulate research strategies under the lead of the Art Director.
- Understand and evangelize the visual style of the game, sharing knowledge with the team to be sure that the vision and directions are understandable.
- Collaborate with other leads and team members across various departments to problem-solve and help steer the conceptual direction into the final game experience
- Lead the Concept Art team, guiding other artists through both mentorship and constructive critique.
- Work closely with 3D Asset teams, Environment teams and Character teams, joining their design processes and working out the visual problems that arise during production.
What you’ll achieve (outcomes vs what people will do)
- Benchmark quality assets covering all aspects of style guides, creative briefs, concept design, key art, illustration, and experiments adhering to the overall art direction
- A visual style that has broad appeal while being distinct and memorable. We aspire for our original IP to have the potential to cross over into multiple games, genres, and media.
- A well-led team of artists who feel informed, challenged and supported to do their best work.
- An efficient and scalable art pipeline that can provide a foundation for future games shaped by constructive feedback and implemented solutions.
What you’ll need to be successful (competencies)
- Outstanding proficiency in designing for the digital world with a deep understanding of the technology, technical constraints and terminology.
- Solid 2D drawing skills and a good aesthetic sense with a solid understanding of how concepts translate into 3D game assets. Top-notch technique and thorough knowledge of anatomy, perspective, composition, color, and textures.
- Mastery of industry standard digital painting tools such as Photoshop and proficiency in ZBrush, Substance Painter and other 3D modeling software to quickly develop and express ideas.
- Ability to turn ideas into images, coupled with a desire to push the envelope.
- A portfolio showcasing a range in styles that leans heavily towards stylized work.
- Commitment to the project and a desire to find the best possible way of inspiring others.
- Ability to communicate your creative vision, process, decisions, and rationale to team members and cross-functional stakeholders in a way that inspires and motivates.
- Enthusiasm for directing, mentoring, and otherwise elevating the people around you to do their best work.
- A natural curiosity and eagerness to learn - we believe this is essential to our ability to stay ahead of the market and value this over years of experience.
- We expect our leaders to continue being students of their craft and the game spaces they’re working in.
- You should be educated on the latest trends and have a strong perspective on how they relate to our current and future projects.
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
- Culture of diversity and inclusion and support to all team members
- Work with some of the industry's coolest people who have designed and launched the best games in the world
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Games where you belong. Come build with us. Visit www.fortisgames.com to learn more.