3D Environment Artist
Vela Games is Looking for a Talented Senior 3D Environment Artist to help build our New Multiplayer Game.
At Vela we love games of every type, but we know that multiplayer, when done well, has a special ability to bring people together. Unforgettable moments are created through the power of playing together. It allows players to keep in touch with old friends regardless of distance, and to forge new friendships that will last lifetimes. Vela was created with these moments in mind, and our focus every day is thinking about how we can create impactful gaming experiences that inspire gamers around the world to play and win collectively.
We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of the core foundation of Vela Games; someone who is passionate about being part of an early tight-knit team laser-focused on creating a game from the ground up. The Senior 3D Environment Artist is responsible for creating visually stunning and high-quality 3D environments that meet the artistic vision and technical requirements of the project.
The role involves collaborating with the art director, game designers, and other artists to design and create 3D environments, assets, and props, implementing lighting and materials, troubleshoot game development issues and supporting our internal and external artists. The Senior 3D Environment Artist must be able to work within constraints such as deadlines, budgets, and performance requirements, while maintaining a high level of visual quality.
If this sounds like you, please apply, we would love to speak with you !
What You Will Do:
- Create Stylized 3D sculpts and low poly 3D assets to a high quality that fit within the project art style.
- Collaborate with the art director, game designers, and other artists to create environments that meet the artistic vision and technical requirements of the project.
- Think modularly when building environment assets (i.e.Trim Sheets, Tileables, Kits) as well as when building Substance Materials.
- Implement lighting and PBR materials to create visually appealing, believable and immersive environments.
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group feedback.
- Troubleshoot technical issues related to 3D environment creation and optimization.
- Continuously improve skills and stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and techniques.
- You will help develop Style guides and Process guides for internal and external consistency and onboarding
- You will help build the team as we expand to make sure the culture at Vela stays positive and productive
- Mentor and guide junior environment artists.
- Review and approve work from junior environment artists & external outsourcing partners.
- Aid Production in planning and scoping of work.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a 3D Environment Artist in the gaming industry demonstrating the ability to make high quality hard surface and organic models using Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush or Mudbox.
- Excellent knowledge in Environment Art fundamentals.
- Good knowledge of Unreal Engine and tools. Strong understanding of game development pipelines and performance optimization techniques.
- Experience with PBR material workflow and including stylized qualities into materials.
- Strong portfolio showcasing examples of stylized 3D environment art, lighting, and materials
- Excellent comprehension of form, shape, structure, silhouette, and composition.
- Excellent eye for light, shade, colour, surface qualities, and detail in creating texture maps.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Personal or professional capability developing stylized environment assets and materials.
- Other skill sets: Shaders, tool creation, lighting, etc.
- Passion for worldbuilding.
At Vela Games we are committed to creating a workplace where everyone feels safe, respected & valued. We continue to create a culture where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive in a fully inclusive environment. Diversity & Inclusion is embedded in everything we do and we are dedicated to creating a unique and welcoming environment to all who apply and ultimately join our team!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Uniting Gamers through Play