Remote 2D Artist
We're seeking a talented, flexible remote 2d artist who understands how to make art that serves its gameplay purpose while also looking good.
This could be a relatively junior person, or a senior up to director level. There's a lot to do, we can use help of all levels, and there is space to grow into.
This remote 2d artist will:
- Create art that's seen in-game. This includes vector-style 2D graphics (small and large), terrain and environmental textures (photosource or otherwise), particle effects and systems, meta-UI elements and icons.
- Work on UI design and graphics. Create the look of menus, backgrounds and UI layout elements, icons, loading screens, diagrams, charts, etc.
- Help determine the overall look of the game by creating concept art, paintovers, and mockups, as well as collecting reference material and discussing visual concepts with other team members.
A great remote 2d artist applicant will:
- Be able to produce artwork that clearly communicates the gameplay situation to the player, draws the player's eyes to the important parts of the image, and does not produce excess visual noise, while also looking good and being easy to understand for players and video/stream viewers. It's not just about making art that looks great in isolation - it's about making art that serves the gameplay experience, the player's story, and the technical constraints of the project, which can require a very different approach.
- Produce a lot of work quickly.
- Be comfortable with vector and raster art, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Be familiar with RimWorld.
The work is primarily 2D, but 3D experience is also useful.
This could be an hourly contract position (working as tasks and time allow), or a fixed-hours contract. Please let me know what kind of arrangement you prefer.
Please send a portfolio link with your application. Also, please indicate which other projects you've worked on, both personal and professional. Thank you!
How to apply
To apply, just send us an email to email@example.com. In your message, please:
- Say which role you're interested in.
- Say where you're located.
- Include a traditional resume.
- Be concise and focus on showing the things you've created. YouTube videos of your games, art, or projects are great starting points for this.
- For programmers, please include links to code you've written. Bigger projects are best, especially if we can see whole projects and how they fit together.
We are based in Canada but can hire internationally. We generally start with a trial contract.
Ludeon's mission is to make creatively-vivacious, original, provocative, and engaging games. Our team members come from diverse origins and hold many different beliefs. Please be ready to work on this mission with people who might think differently from you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Ludeon Studios is an independent game developer and creator of the hit sci-fi colony management simulator RimWorld.