Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000, pay may vary based on location.
Position Title: Sr. Artist Studio/Department: Darkpaw Games Location: San Diego, CA
ABOUT OUR STUDIO
Our headquarters is where the gaming culture and Southern California lifestyle meet, creating a vibrant work environment that epitomizes our belief that every day should be well played. Daybreak San Diego is the home of Darkpaw Games, creators of the legendary EverQuest and EverQuest II games. This is also the home of Rogue Planet Games, developer of the award-winning MMOFPS PlanetSide 2.
The perks of working at Daybreak San Diego extend well beyond the beautiful weather in this prime location. Access to the local gym, as well as on-site fitness classes, game nights, and a strong appreciation for the local craft brew scene (we even turned one of our original game servers into an on-site kegerator) are just some of the ways that make working at Daybreak (San Diego) exciting! Working here is about being part of a community.
Find out more about our studio at www.daybreakgames.com.
Daybreak and Darkpaw Games are looking for talented Senior Artist to help build the ever-growing world of EverQuest and bring more content to the fans. If you have a passion for making high-fantasy worlds come alive then come help us continue the legacy of EverQuest! This position reports to the Lead Artist.
- Develop and polish characters through an established 3D pipeline (modelling, sculpting, texturing, UV unwrapping, etc.)
- Generate assets, hitting established quality bar set for project
- Find balance between subjective quality and technical constraints to achieve aesthetic quality and technical functionality
- Provide regular problem-solving input on workflow, asset creation methods, and related technical issues
- Ensure that all character art assets are built in accordance with the game art style, are technically sound, and completed on schedule
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure character models deform correctly using best practices for modeling for animation performance such as clean edge flow
Required Knowledge and Experience
- 2+ years relevant industry experience in video games
- Understanding of human and animal anatomy, proportion, scale and perspective
- Strong eye for details when translating concept art into 3d character models
- Working knowledge of Maya, Z-brush, and Photoshop or equivalent software
- Demonstrated traditional art skills and knowledge of color, value, function, and silhouette as well as technical problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, positive, and mature attitude on challenges of asset creation and working with the team to achieve high-quality characters and creatures
Year 1 Success
- Proven ability to work autonomously creating 3d models from concept to working in game engine.
- Thorough understanding of in engine character set up to include model creation, rigging, shader set up, and character bug fixing
- Knowledge of character creation pipeline
- High res geometry
- Low res geometry
- UV and texture creation
- Understanding of material creation
- Knowledge of cloth creation using Marvelous Designer
- Working knowledge of Substance Painter
- Experience with high-fantasy character design
- A passion for making and playing games
- At least one shipped title on console and or PC
***Applications without a link to a portfolio will not be considered.***
ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Daybreak Game Company LLC is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games. Best known for blockbuster hits and franchises such as DC Universe™ Online, PlanetSide®, EverQuest®, and Dungeons and Dragons Online®, Daybreak creates, develops, and provides compelling online entertainment for millions of gamers worldwide. We are the game publisher for Darkpaw Studios, Rogue Planet Gaming Studio, Dimensional Ink Games, and Standing Stone Games. To top it off, we are making games in three of the coolest cities in the United States: San Diego, Austin, and Boston. We make games that bring people together and build lasting communities and are totally devoted to delivering the ultimate gaming experience! Find out more about our company at www.daybreakgames.com.
We invite you to get in the game with us and help us make exciting experiences!
Be Aware of Fraudulent Recruiting Activities
Daybreak Game Company will never ask applicants to provide their social security numbers, date of birth, bank account information or other sensitive information in job applications. Additionally, our recruiters do not communicate with applicants through free e-mail accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or through online messaging apps (WhatsApp, Hangouts). We will never ask applicants to provide payment during the hiring process or extend an offer without conducting a phone, live video or in-person interview. Please contact Daybreak Game Company’s People & Culture team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter a recruiter or see a job opportunity that seems suspicious.
**Daybreak Game Company, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Diversity in the workplace.**
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games and emergent gameplay...