Since Manifold Garden was released, we’ve been working on several new projects. We are excited about the creative potential of new technologies. Our focus is to create innovative games that push the boundaries of gameplay and reimagine space, physics, and architecture. One of the projects we are working on is an original VR title that explores impossible geometry.
What are we looking for in an Illustrator?
Our ideal candidate is an artist who enjoys the aesthetics of our first game, Manifold Garden, and is excited to create illustrations in a complementary style and beyond. You will help us explore and refine new art styles, both in the games we make as well as for marketing and communication materials.
You are independent and self-motivated and can run with a task, producing production-ready deliverables on a consistent basis. You are up-to-date with the latest techniques and know how to apply them effectively to achieve desired results. You are comfortable working with an iterative creative process and strong creative direction.
- Create illustrations of environments, props, and occasionally characters based on direction from the Creative Director.
- Create art in the form of thumbnails, sketches, breakdowns, reference sheets, paintings, and other digital imagery.
- Ability to adopt a range of styles, from realistic to stylized, based on goals and art direction for the project.
- Work with the Creative Director to create concepts for environments and props.
- Communicate directly with the Art team to prepare Concept Art assets for both internal and external 3D artists.
- Support the Creative Director by researching and consulting on art styles and creating related presentations to be shared with the team
- Regularly update and troubleshoot with the project’s producer regarding the estimated timeline of deliverables and any potential roadblocks.
- Excellent communication skills
- Worked on at least one published game in a professional capacity
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, estimate time for deliverables, and communicate regularly regarding these matters.
- Willingness to provide schedule availability well in advance for project planning purposes
Skills and Experience that would be beneficial, but not required:
- Experience on a VR title
- The Studio’s synchronous office hours are 10 am - 2 pm CST. Occasional availability to meet remotely during this time will be required.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "WCS - Illustrator'' in the subject line. Please also include
- A brief outline of why you think you'd fit the position
- Contact information for two professional references
- Attach any relevant supporting documents –resume, CV, or portfolio
- Your location and time zone
- Your hourly rate and other contract requirements
William Chyr Studio is an equal-opportunity employer committed to facilitating an inclusive environment for all team members. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply for our open positions.
Application and Interview Process
The job posting period is from January 9, 2023, to February 3, 2023. After this period, we will look over all applications and reach out to select candidates for interviews. If you are selected for an interview, we will coordinate with you to set up a video call in order for us to get to know each other.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are a small indie game studio based in Chicago, with a remote team located around the world