Senior Storyboard Artist
Blizzard Entertainment is looking to hire a Senior Storyboard Artist to join our ranks! Our ideal candidate would be an outstanding draftsperson who is a storyteller at heart whose skills veer towards action-adventure and drama in conjunction with having a firm grasp of dynamic staging, filmmaking fundamentals, and character acting - a great teammate who enjoys working in a fun, fast-paced environment. Are you the hero we're looking for?
Job Summary Senior Storyboard Artist
- Create storyboard sequences from thumbnail, to rough, to clean finish that implement storytelling objectives laid out by the script/outline and Director
- Ensure storyboards align with the creative goals of the leadership team - that the vision, style, and storytelling objectives of the various shows and IP’s are consistently adhered to
- Collaborate with the Director to discuss storytelling direction, design requirements, and expected level of polish for each episode
- Collaborate with creative leadership and production to review goals and vision for storyboards and discuss concerns, timelines, and complexity, given the parameters of the schedule
- Responsible for completing all deliverables on time and according to production schedule
- Regularly meet with Supervisor, Director, Producer, Editor, and fellow Storyboard Artists to thoroughly review, discuss, implement, and revise storyboards
- Pitch storyboards to Supervisor, Director, crew, executives, and team members – Receive feedback, then implement notes given
- When requested, attend and contribute to script meetings and pitches to offer feedback from a storyboarding perspective
- Follow accurate document management and delivery requirements according to the productions’ guidelines
Revisions/changes may include the following:
- Addressing acting, hookups, extra poses, etc.
- Fleshing out a scene or cleaning up rough panels
- Ensuring that characters and designs are on model and to proper proportions
- Re-boarding and re-staging from scratch (if necessary)
- Conforming boards to animatic
- Adding screen direction or other details for clarity
- Relevant drawing experience necessary – Strong figurative and perspective draftsmanship a must
- Ability to draw characters on model and in a 3-Dimensional setting by providing cleaned-up storyboards with attention to clarity and entertainment value
- Adept staging, cinematography and composition skills through drawing and software use
- Advanced knowledge of hardware and software including Cintiq, Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, and Photoshop - Blender 3D a plus
- Demonstrate proficiency in timing, screen direction, continuity, and the language of cinema
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write clear and specific direction on storyboards if requested
- Strong time-management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- If tasked, work from directors’ or fellow board artists’ thumbnails to create final boards within assigned deadlines
- Ability to provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with production staff
- Must have the ability to Pitch storyboards
- Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years as storyboard artist and/or director.
- Portfolio link with board examples (Ideal PDF of boards or full animatic)
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences... ever.