2D Background Artist
BancyCo is seeking a 2D Background Artist to create beautiful, visual-novel-style backgrounds for its fourth, unannounced game project on console and PC. Help define the world and environments for a brand new IP alongside a highly experienced, friendly development team!
😙 About the Job
- Create full-colour, visual-novel-style backgrounds from sketches using digital drawing/painting techniques.
- Backgrounds will involve interiors and exteriors of a near-future, primarily urban setting (approximately 150); expect lots of bright blue skies, dense streets, visually diverse rooms, and mechanical items (vehicles, equipment, etc.) in a colourful, anime-inspired style.
- This is a contract position. It is medium term (~6 months).
- Work is remote; check-ins and meetings will be conducted regularly via video meetings and a team server.
- Scope of work would likely require 3–4 days per week (depending on artist’s availability).
- Project is a (planned) Teen-rated game for console and PC.
- High level 2D painting/drawing skills using digital tools.
- Access to up-to-date Adobe Creative Suite applications (Photoshop).
- Excellent understanding of colour theory and lighting.
- Prior experience illustrating visual-novel-style backgrounds in a semi-realistic or anime style
- Ability to plan background assets with consideration for reusability, modularity and variation.
- Ability to clearly communicate feedback and contribute ideas for art assets.
- Good collaboration skills; you’ll receive direction from the Creative Director and will be part of a team structure.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Review project documentation to understand lore, creative, and technical considerations
- Good organizational skills. You’ll review and update tasks via project management software and meet with the team via video chats.
- Artist must live and work in Ontario, Canada.
- Ability to use Unity to implement in-game assets within scenes, as directed.
- Prior experience with version control software (Plastic)
- Prior experience with 3D software to aid in environment mockups.
- Ability to work consistent days (e.g. Wednesday to Friday) each week for improved team integration.
Project-based or hourly. $25-40/hour (CAD) depending on skills and experience.
🤔 How to Apply
Fill out the submission form to provide your resume, cover letter, and a link to a portfolio.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
BancyCo is a Toronto-based, independent videogame studio that have developed and published critically acclaimed games for consoles, PC and iOS like Ho...