Lead 3D Artist
We're looking for a Lead 3D Artist to join our team and help us push forward an exciting new project!
Chuhai Labs is an indie developer / publisher founded in 2020 by Nintendo alumnus Giles Goddard who developed classic titles including Star Fox, 1080 Snowboarding, Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Chuhai Labs is located in the beautiful city of Kyoto, Japan.
Why Chuhai Labs?
As a company we embrace remote working, and recognise its benefits. As long as we get the results we need - excellent work, which satisfies our customers, done on schedule - we are willing to be as flexible as we can. We offer rare chances for accomplished people from all over the world in all walks of life, to work their ideal job whilst living the life they want, at their own pace.
What We Need You To Do
- Be a driving force for an entire art team of up to 10 people, guiding and leading all from VFX to Environment artists to stay on track and meet goals outlined by the Art Director.
- Exhibit excellent knowledge of both vehicle and humanoid character 3D design principles and the ability to model them.
- Be personally responsible for creating all 3D vehicle and character models and their textures, from existing 2D design concepts.
- Work in tandem with the Technical Artist, Rigger and Animators to ensure all 3D vehicles and characters are brought to life effectively and efficiently.
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure all artists and their tasks are successfully managed.
- Ensure that all art assets are successfully integrated into the game and follow the protocols decided by yourself and Technical Artist.
- Support the art team personnel with advice based on extensive experience.
Required Experience & Knowledge
- 4+ years’ experience of commercial game development
- 2+ years’ experience as leader of an art team at least 4 strong
- At least two commercially shipped games
- Proficiency and comfort working within the Unity game engine
- In-depth knowledge of modeling techniques in Maya, or equivalent 3D software
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and proactive about acquiring knowledge and learning new skills
- Experience working with version control software (such as Perforce, Git etc.)
- 6+ years of commercial game development experience
- Multiple shipped commercial games on a variety of platforms, particularly home consoles
- Knowledge of Substance suite tools
- Currently resides in Japan
What's The Next Step?
- Click the button below to send us an email with the subject "Lead 3D Artist - Job Application" and apply!
- We’ll invite all appropriate candidates to a video interview.
- We’ll keep all applicants informed of their status throughout the hiring process.
- Join a team and studio worth falling in love with!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Chuhai Labs is an independent game studio and publisher based in the birthplace of Nintendo - Kyoto, Japan!