Character Concept Artist
That’s No Moon is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. A remote-friendly studio with a central office and performance capture stage located in Los Angeles, That’s No Moon is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are seeking a Lead Character Concept artist with a passion for creating realistic, compelling and memorable characters. Working in a collaborative team with story, art direction and gameplay you will have the chance to define a new benchmark for visual excellence in real-time characters. You will lead internal and external concept artists responsible for researching, collecting and crafting a wide range of character visual development from reference and mood boards, costume design and concept art. With your help we will push the industry to new heights of realism, gameplay, and storytelling!
- Work with the Art Director and Narrative Team to research, collect, and organize reference material.
- Develop character and costume concept through a series of sketches, color roughs, character studies and detailed breakouts for equipment, weapons, accessories and clothing that fit the game narrative.
- Collaborate with internal and external 3D artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques.
- Strong understanding of human anatomy with the ability to create compelling realistic characters.
- See concepts from sketches all the way to a rendered color final.
- Ensure deliverables are completed to the target quality in a timely manner.
- Able to take direction and feedback from directors as well as contributing your own ideas in a highly collaborative environment.
Requirements & Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in game or film development focusing on conceptual artwork.
- A strong understanding of human and creature anatomy with a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette.
- Keen sense of costume design and construction leveraging functional, visual and emotional story telling.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating the ability to create amazing photo realistic characters and costume designs.
- A strong foundation in traditional art theory including drawing, rendering, composition, lighting, color, value, and shape language.
- A passion for designing grounded characters that would function in the real world with international sensibilities in mind.
- Experience with Photoshop and the processes of photo-bashing, painting, and sketching
- (Bonus) An understanding of, and ability to analyze lighting and material properties and their interactions.
- (Bonus) Shipped a AAA game as a lead concept artist. (Bonus) Experience with 3D programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Blender, Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter etc.
- (Bonus) Knowledge, experience, or interest in using photos, scans and 3D assets in the creation of concept art.
- (Bonus) Experience in traditional live action costume design.
- Excellent work ethic, self-motivation, and ability to take and provide constructive feedback. Comfortable prototyping and working with iterative development processes.
- Strong organizational skills and can work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment striving for excellence.
- Well versed in costume aesthetics and the technical functionality of the character design process.
- Good communication skills adept at providing and receiving constructive feedback across all departments.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A new independent AAA development studio founded by award-winning game makers and storytellers