Senior Concept Artist
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
We believe that the Metaverse experiences of today are far from what players and participants deserve. We believe we can create a better looking virtual world, filled with people, novel experiences and meaningful interactions by leveraging our AAA game development experiences.
We have already started this journey by holding a ScavLab event with over 4,000 players crowding into a single map to battle, and a Meet and Greet with K-Pop star AleXa attended by over a thousand fans who all got on stage at the same time. On top of this, we have also announced a partnership with Yuga labs to create their Overside Metaverse experience.
Reporting to the Art Director, your role is to assist with the production of high quality concept art for our Metaverse experiences, which are built in Unreal Engine. You will provide the development team materials which support the visual direction, including characters, environments, visual effects and narrative.
Areas for impact:
- Have a heavy involvement in the creation of Concept Art processes, pipelines, and guidelines
- Give constructive critique on the quality of our Concept Art, including work from external partners
- Display a high degree of discipline in following the Concept Art processes
- You are also expected to look to refine and develop your craft by embracing new techniques and sharing them with the team
- Create high quality Concept Art content within industry standard timelines
- Own a discrete area of the game and execute on it with a high degree of quality, including:Characters, Environments and locations, Story or narrative
- Help generate high quality content for user acquisition and engagement, e.g marketing assets
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Expert in a Senior Concept Art Role with shipped products that show an end-to-end understanding of the process
- Demonstrable skills include: Excellent understanding of anatomy, form and how to create interesting silhouettes to convey character and personality
- Excellent illustration skills, a deep understanding of composition, colour theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette
- Able to work across a multitude of visual styles and deliver work from thumbnails to finished production renders
- Strong development of conceptual ideas and a desire to think around the brief
- Expert ability to identify and solve any issues which present themselves, either through their own work or with the help of others
- Demonstrates a desire to go out of their way to improve their understanding of their craft through personal projects, art courses and the study of current trends within the industry
- Excellent in identifying issues and proposing solutions that improve Concept Art process or discipline
- Excellent skills in one or more common Concept Art packages:Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, Autodesk Maya (or similar 3d package)
- Self-managing workloads through Jira or another tracking methodology
- Able to create tutorials, guides, or other important documentation for more junior staff members
- Games-industry experience with evidence of shipped titles
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Improbable delivers technology, expertise, creativity and services to help you unleash the full potential of virtual worlds and the metaverse.