Layout Artist [Contract]
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Work with the narrative team to quickly create cinematic layout that best represents the style of the IP
- Help storyboard artists and writers to create interesting, “gameplay first” cinematic moments
- Help to maintain cinematic foundations established by the cinematic team
- Assist in editing and tracking of cinematics
- Work with the design team to reinforce gameplay goals through filmic moments
- Work with various teams to ensure that the game cinematics are implemented into engine
- Assist the animation team’s effort by communicating intent and goals for each cinematic moment
- Help identify interesting performance moments that elevate the product
- Polish cameras while maintaining the intended messaging and emotion of the scene
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Must have cinematic layout portfolio that shows an understanding of visual storytelling through camera placement and character performance
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and creativity in developing cinematic layouts under the guidance of design and cinematic leadership
- Self-starter with proactive attitude that thrives in creative environments
- Passion for sharing insights and ability to coach others
- Excellent communication, organizational, personal, and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of camera blocking, movement, and language
- Advanced understanding 3D camera design and animation
- Confidence maintaining a cinematic style and visual continuity
- Able to problem solve issues that can occur during the various stages of development
- Experience with already established IP is a plus
- Prior cinematics experience is mandatory
- Complete understanding of Maya camera and animation tools is necessary
- Experience with Shotgrid, Confluence, and Jira is a plus
- Basic film editing experience using Premiere is helpful
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject; or completion of an intensive art training program; or equivalent independent study and experience.
Retro Studios is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a welcoming and inclusive environment in service to one another, our products, the diverse consumers we represent, and the communities we call home. We do all of this with kindness, empathy, and respect for each other.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio