Principal 3D Artist
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous , Planet Coaster , Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo . We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We’re looking for a talented Principal 3D Artist to join our F1 Manager team to keep developing the game and pushing boundaries. As a company we produce a wide spectrum of subject matter from stunningly photoreal to beautifully stylised, so populating our game worlds is always challenging and interesting. A Principal 3D Artist at Frontier will be building the cast for the next generation of F1 Manager whilst also working closely with the Art Director.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Working with the Art Director and individual track teams to ensure levels are to the expected look and quality.
- Collaborating with the art team both internally and externally, acting positively on Art Direction and feedback.
- Understanding technical constraints and working with Tech Art and the Art Director to make impactful decisions balancing visuals and performance across the project.
- Coordinating cross discipline communication where required.
- Estimation and planning of milestones to define scope and goals for Environment Art as a whole.
- Day to day management of your team, distributing work and providing feedback to ensure the environments grow together and to a high quality.
- Mentoring and Assisting members of the Environment Art.
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively and receive feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- A strong understanding of Unreal, preferably shipping at least two games through full production in this engine.
- Working with satellite height data, using heightmaps and sculpting landscape based on available data.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Substance Painter experience in production.
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, ToD lighting and colour.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms pipeline flow and game optimisation.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We strive to create games that will put both Frontier and the games industry itself at the forefront of the world entertainment industry