3D Mobile Game Artist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We’re Hutch Games, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the most diverse and engaged automotive gaming community on mobile. Our games have been played by over 300 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in; Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and join the mission!
3D Artist - Mobile Games
We’re looking for a 3D Artist to join the team in London to create visually impressive props and environments for one of our hit games. You’ll join a cross-functional independent team that is empowered to make their own decisions.
You should be adaptable and motivated to produce quality artwork. You should have expert knowledge of 3D asset creation and a broad range of digital art skills gained in either mobile or console games development. We strive for high-quality visuals and look for people that want to achieve that on mobile.
Here at Hutch we have small teams and like generalists who can work within a creative role covering a variety of tasks
- Use contemporary techniques to create high-quality environments and props
- Leverage a number of different skills to create high quality and efficient art for one of our successful titles or a new title
- You will be embedded within a small cross-functional game team, working closely with other team members in a fast-paced and iterative environment
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of an effective content creation pipeline.
- Maintaining the Art pipeline, writing art bibles to ensure quality of art produced is up to a high standard
- Good communication skills with the ability to liaise with outsource artists, including the creation of briefs and feedback material
- Mentor and coach other artists
- Great 3D skills in both high and low poly
- Comfortable modelling hard surfaces and organic forms eg buildings, terrain, vegetation and rocks
- Good communications skills - you will be working in a small team, effective communication across disciplines as well as with other artists is crucial
- Texturing skills. We like to see the ability to create simple, clean-looking textures without an over-reliance on noise overlays or photo source
- Assemble & place assets in order to achieve strong scene composition
- Be stylistically adaptable. Happy to change between different art styles according to the needs of the product
- Lighting: A good understanding of lighting principles and experience with either in-game or pre-rendered tools
- Can demonstrate a good use of real time shaders. Familiar with setting up materials such as water, metals and vegetation
- Appreciate the relevance of good naming conventions and the structured storage of art assets
- Expert knowledge of a major 3D package such as Maya, Max or Modo
- Experience with material authoring packages such as Substance designer/painter or Quixel Mixer
- Experience of working within a game engine, ideally Unity but Unreal is also considered
- Portfolio showing varied art work such as; realistic, stylised forms, indoor and outdoor lighting, use of complex materials and a good sense of scene composition
Bonus Points for any of the following
- Pre-visualisation: Preliminary and exploratory work including use of illustrations and basic 3D to explore composition
- F2P Mobile game experience
- 2D vector art, graphic design, UI
- Experience with particle systems to create real-time VFXs
- Knowledge of source control methodologies – SVN or Perforce
- Motion graphics
- Ability to create paint-overs and reference sheets in order to quickly articulate ideas
- Experience with sculpting packages such as zbrush or Mudbox
- Camera work & composition
Life at Hutch
Our HQ is in the heart of Shoreditch, central London with other offices in Dundee and Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. We're an agile, creative team with people at the core of our values. We reward our employees with
- Enhanced Maternity (18 weeks) and Paternity leave (6 weeks)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working 3 days per week (Everyone is working remotely until it is safe to go back into the office)
- Excellent salaries
- Private health care
- Access to mental health initiatives such as private mental health coaching
- Weekly Yoga Sessions
- Support to learn, develop and progress within Hutch
- Personal Project Development Days
- Free snacks and drinks
- Lots of social events, game launch parties, Friday night drinks and much more
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Come and find out more about Hutch. We make racing games, but it’s not the only thing that drives us - https://www.hutch.io/
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Hutch is a mobile video game developer/publisher. Our recent games include Rebel Racing, F1® Clash and Top Drives.