Material Artist - Characters
Final Strike Games is looking for a talented Character Material Artist to help develop amazing character materials and shaders for our games . The Material Artist will act as a bridge between the engineering team and the art team and will help make our pipelines easier, faster and more performant, while also driving for quality and creativity.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in many different applications, and serving many different customers on the team. Making sure things are efficient and frustration-free should be a priority in everything you make. You must be a good communicator, and you should be able to help make other team members become even better at what they do.
The Material Artist will apply critical thinking and imagination to help make the development of the game as fun and rewarding as it can be. You will have a proven track record of meeting high expectations and hitting milestone deliverables.
Creativity, Quality, Communication, and Collaboration will be the keys to success in this role, as well as a passion for making truly memorable games.
- Develop and maintain material features to meet the Art Direction needs
- Inspire and empower the art team to do their very best work, as easily as possible
- Author clear, performant material node graphs and code for Unreal
- Create efficient master shaders for Characters
- Collaborate with Engineers to optimize runtime performance without sacrificing artistic integrity.
- Breaking down existing processes and pipelines, identifying where improvements can be made, explaining to your customers what needs to happen, build consensus around the ideas and then execute on the plan.
- Work closely with key contributors to build, oversee and maintain material pipelines.
- Implement assets in-engine and manage files through source control
- Write & maintain concise documentation and processes for owned features & work
- Collaborate with the Production team to maintain schedule and priorities of the content teams’ deliverables and bug fixes
- 3+ years of Tech Art experience in game development, working on PC or Consoles.
- A strong understanding of technical foundations behind high quality textures and materials
- Proficient in creating PBR materials/shaders using node-based material editors, tiled layered material systems, shader networks and procedural texturing.
- You are actively involved in all tools, techniques and processes across Unreal, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Houdini, Photoshop and modeling/baking/texturing.
- Actively worked on and shipped at least one AAA title
- Expert understanding of Physically Based Rendering pipelines, workflows, and limitations.
- Expert understanding of game art creation tools, requirements and processes.
- Proven Unreal Engine 4/5 knowledge in actual game development
- Experience with current generation console platforms
- Experience developing core mechanics for a variety of experiences
- Excellent communicator who can take feedback and direction well and is willing to learn and teach others
- The ability to sell, present, and talk through your thinking, technical solutions and overall process to all levels of the team
- Passion for playing and making console and PC games
- Collaborative, self-motivated, and effective time-management skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with procedural content creation
- Strong traditional art foundation and understanding
- Experience in building amazing environment materials
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’re currently operating under a work-from-home model and even so, we're still interviewing and hiring during this time. This role is expected to start as a remote position which will transition to a more standard office position when it's perfectly safe to do so, based on science and best health practices. We understand people's circumstances may vary and will work with you to explore the best possible solutions for your individual needs during the pandemic. We are also open to applicants from Canada.
About Final Strike Games:
Final Strike Games is a multiplayer focused game studio founded by industry veterans. FSG is currently developing for PC and Console. For more information please visit www.finalstrikegames.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.
WE MAKE MULTIPLAYER