The Hero Profile (Responsibilities)
The UI Artist will be working closely with a diverse team of developers, designers and producers to work on innovative games. The ideal candidate is creative and fearless in experimenting with inventive UI design. You will be working with the team to define the look and feel of a game, designing solutions that uphold the Game Hive standard. You are both intuitive and attentive, and can’t wait to flex your artistic skills in the innovative mobile space.
What you’ll be doing
- Design art concepts for the features of mobile games with a global audience
- Create dynamic, reactive and appealing UI
- Iterate on user interface assets according to reviews, community feedback, changing requirements, and user research
- Produce sketches to illustrate and concept designs for action gameplay; user interfaces / game experience; characters; social features; reward structures; and further in-game assets as required
- Develop visual systems that achieve goals from both game design and UX perspectives
- Work closely with game designers, artists and developers to define UX flow, wireframing and ensuring UI/UX delivers an interactive and polished gameplay experiences
- Take ownership for projects and self-produce/direct when necessary
- Be an advocate to our loyal players by designing features that exceed regular standards and expectations!
- Keep up-to-date with current technologies in the digital illustration industry
What we’re looking for
Essential skills and qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma (or equivalent experience) in graphic design, illustration or related disciplines
- 2-5 years of industry experience in designing game-related user interfaces for mobile devices and in-game assets;
- Professional industry experience in UX design, showcased in your portfolio
- Mastery of one (or more) illustration software (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign). Portfolio required.
- Ability to work within a style guide for a major IP to suit the needs of a mobile game experience
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process, including proven experience in user design experience, wire-framing, journey-mapping and prototyping.
- Strong understanding and experience applying UX interaction concepts
- Passionate about video games!
- Have an understanding of the free-to-play mobile space
- Detail-oriented and driven for pixel perfection
- Able to work creatively and thrive in fast-paced environments
- Exceptional ability to communicate ideas through verbal, written and visual means
Plusses - good to have, but not required!
- Technical/hands-on experience building interfaces with Unity’s UI authoring tools
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life.
- Receive a competitive salary and growth structure.
- Receive a comprehensive benefits package.
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but you better believe the fun doesn’t stop — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in the heart of downtown Toronto with an exceptional view, all the snacks and drinks you can consume, and a game room to boot!
Join the Hive
Get with us! Send us the following to apply:
- Your resume in PDF format
- A link to your portfolio that demonstrates a variety of your work: from sketching, UI, illustrations, as well as examples of past UX wireframing experience
Our Future of Work
Game Hive is currently full-remote, as we put the health and safety of our team as the first priority. That said, our intention is to adopt a hybrid model once we feel 100% safe to do so. However, we welcome all talent to apply — if you feel that this role and Game Hive is the perfect fit for you, we ask you to still get in touch! We want to hear from you, as we prioritize passion, potential and a 'values-fit' in our team.
Game Hive puts heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Founded in 2009, Game Hive is a leading developer of mobile games for iOS and Android, with more than 120 million total downloads to date. We are passionate about making fun and rewarding games for everyone to enjoy. Our most popular games include the Tap Titans, Beat the Boss and Antrim Escape series (and many, more!).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Redefining the mobile game space!