Senior Character Concept Artist, 3D
As the games division of Bad Robot Productions ( Lost, Cloverfield, Westworld, Star Wars, Star Trek ), we at Bad Robot Games are on a mission to continually reinvent how stories are played.
We are a remote-first games company represented by a diverse team, which empowers us to make the kinds of games in which all players can see themselves. Working closely with our colleagues at Bad Robot Productions, our projects unite our extensive network of games, TV, and film industry talent to create original IPs, expansive worlds and tell new stories across all media platforms which are as fun to watch as they are to play.
Bad Robot Games is looking for a Senior Character Concept Artist - 3D to work as a key member of the art team to create high quality and detailed character designs. These assets are based on game requirements, technical capabilities of the gaming platform and product scope. Individuals must have a basic understanding of anatomy and proportions as it translates to 3D modeling, and mesh deformation. Takes initiative to learn and adapt to new team practices based on evolving technologies. Can work in a multidisciplinary work atmosphere.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
Are you ready?
- Collaborate with the Art Director and Concept Artists to develop the look and feel of assets.
- Create awesome characters that are efficient, built to scale and satisfy budgetary requirements.
- Able to prototype and help conceptualize character designs.
- Manage several assets and prioritize tasks.
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction.
- Provide feedback to improve the tools.
- Provide feedback to external development teams with collaboration of the Art Director.
- Follow schedules and meet deadlines.
- Understand mesh topology and edge loops as it translates to efficient modeling practices for in-game characters and is experienced building highly detailed characters.
- Understanding of 3d scan as a foundation for organic or hard surface model workflows.
- Good understanding of UV coordinate space, texturing, and memory budgets.
- Thorough working knowledge of Maya, Zbrush, and Substance Painter.
- Understands the principles and practices of physically based workflows and texturing.
- Promote a positive work environment through high personal and performance standards.
- Prior experience/previous positions related to current position:
- 5+ years of directly related experience in gaming.
- Performed a similar role on at least 1 published game title.
- High level of proficiency using Maya to create detailed characters to scale and accuracy.
- Proven ability to create detailed Zbrush models.
- Candidates must have experience using Substance Painter, and Photoshop to create hyper realistic textures for next gen materials.
- Experienced in 3D character concepts and development process.
- High level understanding of human anatomy with an ability to sculpt realistic humans and creatures.
- High level understanding of color theory, value, believable structure, foundational forms and shape language with the application to character and creature design.
- Experience is working from Scan data.
- Candidates must be proactive and work well in a large team environment and have excellent communication skills.
- Candidate must have experience creating efficient and clean models with proper UV layout inside Autodesk Maya
Competitive compensation package and benefits
- We encourage a balance in work, personal life and are proponents of health & wellness
- We provide Medical (PPO), Dental, and Vision - 100% of premiums covered for employee and eligible partner & dependents
- Our studio closes several weeks a year for true relax + refresh time in addition to holidays
- Our open time-off policy allows you to take the time off you need without worrying about vacation allotments or accruals
- Comprehensive employee assistance program
- Family and financial wellness
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- We are passionate about social impact and provide education, awareness, and outreach via Good Robot (Bad Robot’s community service and giving division)
- Allocated funds to donate to meaningful non-profit organizations
- Collaborative and casual work environment
DIVERSE AND DISTRIBUTED TEAM (REMOTE-FIRST)
- We believe our studio should be representative of the people who play our games. Our goal is to make games in which all players can see themselves.
- It’s 2021; games are being made by developers spread across the world. Our HQ is located in Santa Monica, CA, but our team collaborates from all over.
- For now, we are only accepting remote candidates in the continental USA but may be interested in changing this policy as we grow.
FUNDED, BUT INDEPENDENT:
- Backed by strategic and venture capital firms Galaxy Interactive, Horizons Ventures, Tencent, WBIE, and Iconiq, our investors believe in the future of storytelling in games and our ability to deliver on that promise.
We offer competitive salaries and compensation packages to all of our full-time hires — which includes comprehensive benefits and amazing opportunities. For more information on current career opportunities with Bad Robot Games, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and to make reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled applicants. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Your application has been successfully submitted.