Sago Mini is an award-winning publisher of preschooler apps and toys worldwide. Supported by a team of artists, designers, developers, product managers, thinkers, and doers who are devoted to play. With over 60 million downloads, three subscription services, 35+ apps, and a line of physical toys, Sago Mini brings thoughtful design to life for kids and parents worldwide.
You are a creative at heart with a passion for 2D animation. You are a detail-oriented and organized individual who’s obsessed with creating beautiful content. You work well independently but thrive on collaboration with your team and working with others to get the job done. You think about your tasks before diving in – always asking questions, considering alternatives, and are comfortable communicating with your peers. Your colleagues appreciate your problem-solving abilities, your lack of ego, and your ‘hands on’ approach to getting things done.
About the Role
Sago Mini is seeking a 2D Animator to join our creative team and work on animation across our apps and product lines. Using your skills and experience, you will have the opportunity to contribute your ideas and create fun and exciting animations for preschoolers. You will work closely with artists to bring life and motion to art assets while being part of a dedicated team who is passionate about what they do.
This is a six-month contract role to start with the potential for full-time.
What You'll Be Doing
- Creating appealing and smooth 2D animation across Sago World and Sago School apps as well as marketing content.
- Working closely with lead artists to brainstorm and sketch animation concepts.
- Animating modules, labelling, and rigging scene assets for export.
- Creating animated assets for apps.
- Communicating with developers, technical artists, and UI to understand what their needs are.
- Create mock-ups for potential solutions to how games can look and work within our apps.
- Create mock-ups for character animation to be used as references for programmatic animation.
- Work closely with the marketing team to create and animate social media concepts and content.
- Assisting with animation troubleshooting and additional tasks as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2+ years of professional experience as a 2D animator or a related field.
- Working experience and proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite – particularly Animate.
- Strong understanding and application of the principles of animation
- Experience working closely with other teams on deliverables.
- A strong ability for problem solving.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Versatility in skillsets and an ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Strong communication skills.
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience in 2D animation for games.
- Experience in 2D animation for children’s content.
- Experience creating animated social media content.
- Experience using After Effects and Illustrator.
- Experience with Unity Engine and GitHub.
- Strong illustration and design skills.
About the Process
- You'll get an email response confirming we've received your application, and we'll let you know within a few days if we'd like to schedule a follow-up .
- If you're moving ahead, we'll book a call to learn more about your experience in a first round interview.
- If the fit is there and your skills and competencies align with the role, you will complete a short animation exercise for submission.
- If the exercise is successful, you will meet with the hiring manager and team prior to a decision being made.
Based in Toronto, Sago Mini is a subsidiary of Toca Boca, the No. 1 mobile-first kids brand in the App Store. Both companies are part of Spin Master Corp., a global children’s entertainment company that creates, designs and manufactures a diversified portfolio of innovative toys, games, products and entertainment properties. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people who care about doing great work. Sago Mini is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Sago Mini creates beautiful and thoughtfully designed apps & toys for preschoolers and toddlers.