Lead Character Artist
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Lead Character Artist at Pocket Gems, you will drive the Character design department of Pocket Gems. The Lead Character Artist will lead and create character and vehicle production on a completely new high-quality, stylized casual title. While working with our Art Directors and our Concept Artists you will help devise the game's visual style and direction after concept. Senior Character Modelers will be a pillar of the team and will define and contribute significantly to the quality of the art team. Candidates will bring their extensive work experience with modeling/sculpting tools to achieve unique and stylized characters.
What We’ve Accomplished:
- Assembled an incredibly talented art team, with industry veterans and talent that work extremely well together
- Shipped a very ambitious game, with huge scope, “next gen” graphics on new tech, called Wild Beyond
What You’ll Do:
- Create both high quality 3D sculpts for Characters and Vehicles
- Create textures that are stylized, hand painted techniques with next-gen materials
- Collaborate with design, animation, and visual effects departments to meet the highest visual quality and gameplay standards
- Communicate with production, art management, and other departments
- Work with outsourcing managers and vendors to provide feedback on external artwork
What You Bring to the team:
- Exceptional understanding of form, anatomy, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- At least 5+ years working in gaming as a Character Modeler with credit on at least one shipped title
- Excellent work ethic, self-motivation, and is able to easily take constructive feedback Solid knowledge of current and emerging character and rigging pipelines
- Focus on creating both hard surfaced/organic characters or creatures
- Expert level knowledge of Maya or equivalent, Zbrush and Photoshop (or equivalent)
- Able to troubleshoot and smartly correct other artists scenes, rigs, props, etc and provide meaningful feedback when needed
- Able to follow and adapt to stylistic guidelines set by the Lead/Art Director
- Strong organizational and file management skills desired
- Able to create new and efficient strategies for asset completion
- Able to mentor others
- A BFA, art degree, or equivalent experience as a 3D Artist
Extra Gems For:
- Experience with Substance Painter
- Vehicle asset creation is a plus
- Able to concept ideas before beginning the asset creation process
- Able to generate models from some to little concept art
- Have shipped AAA PC, or console titles, as a character artist
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts
- An avid and passionate gamer across multiple platforms
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world!