Hard Surface Artist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Osso VR is the leading virtual reality surgical training and assessment platform. Our technology is being used by the top medical device companies to train thousands of surgeons, on dozens of the latest surgical techniques, in over twenty countries around the world. Our mission is to improve patient outcomes through better training and assessment, increase the adoption of higher value medical technology, and democratize access to the latest surgical techniques globally.
Our art department is led by award winning artists from companies such as Industrial Light & Magic, Microsoft, and Apple. We have contributed to some of the largest properties in the world for films and game franchises like Marvel, Star Wars, Halo, Mortal Kombat and Jurassic Park to name just a few. We are excited to welcome new members to our growing team.
We are looking for candidates who above all fit our unique caring company culture. We care more about your passion and perseverance to succeed than anything on your resume specifically. We make some of the coolest, most complex real-world and imagined objects, but we are specifically looking for long term hires who share our passion for saving lives with our mission. The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in medical training, CAD conversion, hard surface modeling and conceptualization for this particular industry. This candidate must have a solid foundation in 3D modeling, texturing, and look development.
The Hard Surface modeler works closely with the Art Director and Lead Artists to contribute assets that are medically accurate down to the finest detail, aesthetically pleasing and optimized for high-fidelity training tailored for Osso VR’s customers including Doctors, Residents and Reps.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Creating hard surface models in Zbrush and Maya that bring together the best possible visual learning objects, culled from everything from CAD data, to real-world and conceptual references and images
- Working closely with the Art Director and Senior Modelers to achieve the desired look and development of materials and textures for our assets
- Working within the Unity engine to preview, iterate, optimize and polish models to a quality bar and visual direction as set by the Art Director
- Working closely with leadership to help uphold modeling standards for rigging, deformation, and simulation within performance budgets, and other run-time requirements
- Helping to set and maintain the quality standard across the team with the Art Director and Senior leadership
- Working with junior level artists, creating and aiding in direction and feedback
- Constantly self-educating and researching medical information to help inform assets and build our reference library
- Familiarizing yourself with new software, hardware and other related technology, and providing input to drive new technology and pipeline innovations
- Collaborating closely with the team and participating in stand-ups, meetings, critiques, and reviews
- Working collaboratively with all other disciplines, including Tech Art and Engineers, to ensure artwork meets all requirements and tasks are estimated correctly
This is the right opportunity for you if you:
- Have a deep understanding of mechanical objects and how they function, paired with a humble attitude and desire to learn more
- Have advanced capabilities in Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Suite, and Marmoset Toolbag
- Are able to self-manage and multi-task
- Are comfortable/respectful of viewing surgical procedures and guides as reference material
- Have excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Have an understanding of healthy critiquing and how to motivate and elevate others
- Have an interest in, and passion for, the medical space and Virtual Reality
- Are adaptive and willing to learn new skills
- Are empathetic, compassionate, and motivated by mission-based work
- Possess a consistent level of understanding and comfort with not being able to know everything, combined with the ability to quickly and regularly praise and give due credit to others' contributions
- Knowledge of Unity Engine
- CAD modeling knowledge
- Interest in creating concept art both in 3d and 2d to assist the Art Director with expressing and innovating new features
- Ability or interest in any of the following: rigging, blendshapes, scripting and animation
Our commitment to diversity
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Virtual Surgery. Real Results.