Lead Rigging Artist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Osso VR is the leading virtual reality surgical training and assessment platform. Our technology is being used by the top medical device companies to train thousands of surgeons, on dozens of the latest surgical techniques, in over twenty countries around the world. Our mission is to improve patient outcomes through better training and assessment, increase the adoption of higher value medical technology, and democratize access to the latest surgical techniques globally.
Our art department is led by award winning artists from companies such as Industrial Light & Magic, Microsoft and Apple. During our careers, We have contributed to some of the largest properties in the world for films and game franchises like Marvel, Star Wars, Halo, Mortal Kombat and Jurassic Park to name just a few. We are excited to welcome new members to our growing team.
We are looking for candidates that above all fit our unique caring company culture. We make some of the coolest, most complex real-world and imagined objects. We are specifically looking for long term hires who share our passion for saving lives with our mission. The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in medical training and bringing their skillset to this particular industry. This candidate must have a solid foundation in rigging, technical art and animation/deformation.
The TD/Rigging Specialist works closely with the Art Director, Senior Modelers, Engineers, Medical Educators and Technical Artists to rig and animate assets that are medically accurate down to the finest detail, aesthetically pleasing and optimized for high-fidelity training tailored for Osso VR's customers including doctors, residents and reps.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Rigging and animating organic and hard-surface models to match multiple real-world and conceptual references and images
- Working closely with the Art Director, Senior Modelers, and Medical Educators to achieve the desired on-model look, deformation, and function of assets
- Working within the game engine to preview, iterate, optimize, and polish rigs and deformations to a quality bar and visual direction as set by the Art Director
- Working closely with leadership to help uphold modeling standards for rigging, deformation, and simulation within performance budgets, and other run-time requirements
- Helping set and maintain the quality standard across the team with the Art Director and Senior leadership
- Mentoring more junior artists/TDs, providing direction and feedback
- Regularly researching medical information to help inform assets and build our toolset
- Familiarizing yourself with new software, hardware and other related technology, and providing input to drive new technology and pipeline innovations
- Collaborating closely with the team and participating in stand-ups, meetings, critiques, and reviews
- Collaborating cross-functionally with all disciplines to ensure artwork meets all requirements and tasks are estimated correctly
This is the right opportunity for you if you:
- Have a deep understanding of organic and mechanical objects, in terms of how they function/move, paired with a humble attitude and desire to learn more
- Are proficient in Autodesk Maya
- Have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Are innovative and stay on top of the latest trends in design and cutting edge technologies
- Are a deadline driven self starter, able to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Are comfortable/respectful of viewing graphic surgical procedures and guides as reference material
- Have an understanding of healthy critiquing, and how to motivate and elevate others
- Are adaptive and willing to learn new skills
- Are empathetic, compassionate, and motivated by mission-based work
- Have an interest in, and passion for, the medical space and Virtual Reality
- Previous real-time or VR experience
- Previous Unity experience
- Extensive animation experience, particularly for games
- Competency in MEL and/or Python scripting
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Virtual Surgery. Real Results.