Senior Character Artist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ The Chinese Room
The Chinese Room is looking for a highly talented and creative Senior Character Artist to join our wonderful team. You’ll be at the centre of a bold and brilliant title, with all of TCR’s trademark visual flair and quality.
Within this role you will:
- Be responsible for production of excellent quality high polygon models
- Transfer high poly models to low in game meshes adhering to specified budgets
- Creation of high quality in-game assets for a PBR pipeline
- Troubleshooting character art issues from a creative and technical standpoint
- Working closely with the rigging and animation team to ensure your models work well in motion
- Collaborate with the concept team by highlighting and providing solutions to any design problems before the modelling stage
We will need you to have:
- A professional and collaborative attitude, with the ability to work well in a team
- A good understanding of anatomy
- Demonstrable experience of game development cycles on console, PC and/or mobile
- Excellent knowledge of at least one major 3D package (Max or Maya).
- Outstanding organisational and communication skills
- Commercial knowledge of Zbrush, Substance Painter and real-time shaders.
- Ability to work in a variety of styles
We'd also ideally like you to have (although it’s not a deal breaker):
- Previous UE4/Unity experience
- Hard surface modelling experience
Your application has been successfully submitted.