Freelance Senior Animator - All Studio Locations
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Electric Square, the worlds we create are crucial to our games and in delivering fantastic experiences to our players. Our portfolio includes ‘Forza Street’ and ‘Hot Wheels id,’ with ‘Assassin’s Creed VR’ and electrifying AAA console games currently in development and even more about to start! Together with 3 studios, 150 people, 8 projects (and our studio dogs!), we offer world-class projects with a unique studio culture to ensure our teams feel empowered and inspired
We can offer you an award-winning working environment with an employee satisfaction rating of 4.8 out of 5 on Glassdoor. At Electric Square, we don't just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Electric Square is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
A Senior Animator at Electric Square will work as part of the animation team with a primary focus on creating and implementing gameplay character move sets. The role will also encompass cut scene and narrative-based sequences and supporting in world animations as required. Due to the focus on gameplay-related animation, you will have a deep understanding of how your artistry can positively impact the quality of the player experience.
A Senior Animator at Electric Square:
- Responsible for the creation and integration of world-class character animations in the game engine
- Applies animation principles to create high-quality animations while optimising them to meet technical constraints and making any changes that are requested based on artistic direction
- Works in close collaboration with the Art Director, Game Designers and Programmers to understand quality objectives, gameplay intentions and engine capabilities to deliver AAA quality for work objectives
- Communicates and works closely with Game Designers and Programmers to find effective solutions or fix issues and achieve goals on time
- Quickly prototypes and previsualises animation systems and ideas that will serve as a basis for animation and gameplay-related discussions
- Supports the requirements for in-game cut-scenes and performance animation as required
- Mentors and train animation team members.
- Animation production experience on at least one shipped AAA character action game
- Advanced skills in games development software such as Maya & games engines (Unity/UE4)
- MotionBuilder experience essential
- Exceptional key frame animation skills and a reel that showcases world leading animation quality in character and other related gameplay animation systems
- Expert level of understanding of the principals of animation
- Strong understanding of animation and how it applies to gameplay
- A passion for character animation, playing games and film
- Character rigging and/or modelling skills is advantageous
- Traditional art skills a distinct advantage. Life drawing ability, deep understanding of human anatomy
- Prior experience of motion capture pipelines and data management is advantageous
- A passionate and self-motivated individual, willingness to work in a team and communicate effectively
- Ability to prioritise one's own tasks and be responsive to deadlines
- Exceptional problem-solving skills. Must be able to quickly identify issues and proactively resolve them
When you join Electric Square, you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether its participating and relaxing with one of our wellness perks or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked one of Brighton's incredible pop-up diners. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Electric Square invests in. Below you will find all the perks you can enjoy as an Electric Square team member.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer.
- Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
- In-house Clubs – There are lots of ways to socialise with your colleagues here! From day one you’re invited to join in clubs for D&D fans, board games, bouldering, drawing nights, yoga, cooking club – the list goes on and there is always space open for new members!
- Electra’s Beer & Wine Fridge – Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- Free Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console.
- Free Awesome Swag – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts and merch, with the now iconic Electra emblazoned on the front. New ranges out every season.
- Two studios in the heart of Brighton – Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
- Dogs with Jobs – Studio Gobo is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!
- Exhibitions & Days Out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A Keywords Studio. We provide world-class game development services for the biggest and best partners in the industry.