This job is no longer accepting applications.
Kongregate is a leading game developer focused on building engaging experiences in breakout game genres. Our mobile games, including collectible card game Animation Throwdown, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Madness, and the wild west themed Idle Frontier, have been downloaded hundreds of millions of times!
With 15 years of history, Kongregate started out small and has grown into a thriving business with over 80 employees across the nation in three main offices: Portland, Chicago, & San Diego. We are a dedicated and efficient team that enjoys making games as much as playing them. We measure our efforts through results rather than hours worked, and value the importance of a work-life/family balance on top of offering competitive pay and benefits. As our portfolio and teams grow, our culture remains built around gaining knowledge through cooperation. From board game nights to role-playing campaigns, we all continue to learn from each other and grow.
As a Game Designer on Kongregate’s CCG team, you will create exciting new features and content for an upcoming CCG. In addition to concepting and iterating on designs, you will develop and balance a deep metagame. You will collaborate closely with Artists, Engineers, and Product Managers to build a game that is an evolution of our biggest titles, Animation Throwdown & TMNT: Mutant Madness. We are excited for you to bring your knowledge of CCGs and passion for creating fun games.
- Create, iterate, and provide feedback on design documentation.
- Prototype new game mechanics and incorporate feedback to get them ready for feature development.
- Design content and balance it based on player progression and metagame.
- Provide artists with descriptive visual details for content and features.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to ensure designs are hitting product goals.
- Work with Engineers to ensure features are implemented to design's specifications.
- Play comparable games and share design knowledge gained from them.
- Review community feedback and suggest improvements to create an overall stronger user experience.
- Shipped at least 1 digital title as a designer and/or 2+ years experience designing live ops content for a released digital title.
- Knowledge of digital or tabletop CCG design mechanics and metagame balance.
- Passion for creating games that appeal to both casual and competitive players.
- Understanding of player motivations and how to design specifically for those motivations.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Experience with XML and/or JSON a plus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Kongregate is a leading developer of free-to-play mobile games.