Freelance Concept Artist
Contract duration: 6 months
Why join us?
- You want to be part of the new DON’T NOD Montreal narrative game, led by key members of the team behind Life is Strange, and bring your talent to the project;
- You want to join a diverse and committed team, both in its culture and in the content of the games it creates;
- You're looking for an environment where you'll be able to interact with all the teams in a simple and efficient manner;
- You'd like to use your concept art skills to contribute to an original and meaningful experience based on its characters.
What you'll be doing
Working directly with the Art Director, you will be responsible for creating concept art to bring our world to life. We are particularly interested in artists who are confident and enthusiastic about designing props, environments, and in-universe illustrations. Experience with character concepts is a significant plus.
Your mission will include:
- Creating and iterating on concepts based on an initial brief and continuous feedback from the Creative Director and Art Director;
- Producing concept art that caters to the needs of the 3D artists as they create assets to populate our game world;
- Developing concepts that closely align with specific predetermined narrative requirements;
- Formatting your work in a production-friendly manner (considering file sizes, formats, organization, etc.);
- Providing time estimates for assigned tasks and maintaining a consistent pace of work;
- Regularly communicating with our Art Director regarding creative needs and with our Associate Producer regarding scheduling and production requirements.
Skills & Requirements
The must-have skills we're looking for
- The ability to create concepts that effectively convey a strong sense of narrative;
- Demonstrated proficiency in most or all of the following areas: prop/environment/character design, composition, structural drawing, color theory, anatomy, graphic design;
- High-level proficiency in creating concept art that clearly communicates realistic perspective and scale, ready for translation into 3D. Comfort with drawing objects accurately in multiple perspectives or providing breakout details when needed;
- Proficiency in creating finished illustrations covering a wide range of subject matter, for direct use in the game as final textures;
- The ability to translate provided direction accurately into a visual design, as well as the capability to contribute your own ideas to resolve creative challenges and further develop our world;
- High-level proficiency in working with Photoshop. While other software may be part of your process, delivering final art as layered Photoshop files is required.
What would set you apart?
- An interest and familiarity with heavily narrative-driven and cinematic video games;
- Enthusiasm for the details of everyday life - the small bits of personality and character that exist everywhere but often go unnoticed;
- An appreciation for film, photography, and composition;
- A good understanding or previous experience working with 3D software (Maya, Blender, etc). Our concept workflow doesn't require 3D, but it can be a helpful tool;
- Familiarity with Unreal or similar game engines. Although this is not required for our concept team, understanding this type of workflow or pipeline is beneficial.
How to Apply
Please apply via the following link / Veuillez appliquer via le lien suivant: https://smrtr.io/h7yrk
About the Company
DON’T NOD is an independent publisher and developer, based in Paris and Montreal, creating original narrative games in the adventure (Life is Strange, Tell Me Why, Twin Mirror), RPG (Vampyr), and action (Remember Me) genres. The studio is internationally renowned for unique narrative experiences with engaging stories and characters, and has worked with industry leading publishers: Square Enix, Microsoft, Bandai Namco Entertainment, Focus Entertainment, and Capcom. DON’T NOD creates and publishes its own IPs developed in-house, as well as using its knowledge and experience to collaborate with third-party developers whose editorial visions parallel the company’s own.
Step into the studio's immersive and innovative universe at dont-nod.com
At DON’T NOD Montreal, we celebrate diversity and inclusivity within our games as well as our teams. We commit to equal opportunities and non-discrimination in our hiring process. We are respectful of the principles of equal employment opportunities, and that is why we encourage women, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, First Nations people, people living with a disability, visible minorities, as well as any other person who can contribute to the diversity of our studio to apply for our positions.
We build close-knit teams to encourage a fulfilling work environment for all our employees.
We are an independent video game developer and publisher based in Paris and Montreal