Concept Art Intern (Apex Legends)
We're looking for a Concept Artist Intern to join our Apex Legends team. Our ideal candidate is passionate about game development and loves to create high-quality, inspirational concept art pieces to support efforts across multiple disciplines. Reporting to our Lead Concept Artist, you will work on a variety of subject matter, designing concepts across characters, environments, vehicles, and/or props.
What's it like to be a Concept Artist at Respawn?
As concept artist, your day-to-day work may include creation of thumbnails, loose sketches, finished and detailed pieces, as well as orthographic. You will own your work from start to finish while collaborating with other artists, designers, and leads to ensure the work fits cohesively into the vision for art direction and player experience. Our art team cares about developing both high-quality art and a high-quality player experience.
Your concept art will help to visually inform and impact the direction of the game, as well as inspire the entire development team. We believe that all our team members are on a path of professional development and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one's work. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in Concept Artist candidates?
- You've Made Stuff You Are Proud Of - What we'd love to see in your portfolio is work that you designed yourself from start to finish with a variety of subject matter (characters, environments, props, etc.).
- Beyond Art - You Are A Game Developer - Your appreciation for the needs of real-time video game development will help make sure your work supports the goals of the game and properly informs the various department who will be working off of your concepts.
- Passion - We look for Concept Artists who are highly passionate. Our art team is constantly sharing knowledge and working to raise the quality bar.
- Potential Over Experience - Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people who have a knack for hands on artistry, but who also balance their drive with the understanding of what is highest priority for artists.
- A Spirit for Collaboration - The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what's best for the game.
- Skills :
- Portfolio that demonstrates problem solving, concept production design thinking and the ability to translate and communicated ideas clearly.
- Understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and color.
- Ability to design and illustrate everything from characters to environments to mechanical designs and more.
- Basic understanding of 3D, experience creating designs to be translated into 3D.
- Experience with relevant software packages, such as Photoshop, Painter, or similar software.
- Traditional and 3D art skills.
You must be available for a full-time paid internship in the summer of 2024. We are only considering students who will be enrolled in an accredited degree program in the summer of 2024, slated to graduate no earlier than December 2024. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis during the 12-week internship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Make your daydream your day job. #OurWorkIsPlay