Head of Art
We are looking for a Head of Art to assume overall responsibility for our art department. You will be responsible for overseeing the visual quality of all of XR Games’ projects, being a key point of contact for our clients and be tasked with developing the careers of our artists.
- People Management - You will ultimately be responsible for all of the artists at XR Games and your leadership should foster a positive and productive team environment. You are expected to guide and mentor artists, providing constructive feedback and support to help them achieve their creative potential while contributing effectively to project goals.
- Team Development - You will be seeking ways to grow and develop the artists in the team, working with the HR team to identify skills gaps and organise training opportunities to upskill the art team. You will also participate in the interview process for new artists, evaluating their skills, portfolios and cultural fit. Playing an important role in the onboarding process, ensuring new team members seamlessly integrate into the project and studio culture.
- Client Management - You will be a primary point of contact for clients, attending meetings and calls to discuss artistic progress and gather feedback. You will be expected to be willing to be vocal in these meetings, providing regular updates on project progress to senior leadership, identifying potential challenges and proposing solutions.
- Resource Planning - Assessing the project requirements you will be able to allocate resources effectively and ensure your team has the right tools, technology and talent to deliver. You will work closely with production and HR to optimise the resources available.
Are you the right person?
The right person for this role will already have significant experience in a leadership role. You will have originally been a games artist, with multiple releases to your name, although its expected you have now progressed into a leadership position. We want somebody who can relate to our artists, understands their position and can inspire them to do their best work. We are expecting your people and leadership skills to shine throughout the interview process.
Our Values - Creative / Reliable / Problem Solver / Collaborative / Positive / Authentic
Our culture values are the DNA of what makes a good XR Games Employee. Throughout the interview process our team will be seeking evidence of these values in your personality, behaviour & experiences and will be taken into account alongside your work experience, skills and knowledge when it comes to hiring decisions.
- Deep experience across the whole games art spectrum
- Be a strong artist in your own right
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong commercial understanding
At XR Games hybrid & flexible working is standard, we have a blended team who could be based in our Leeds HQ or remote around the world depending on the role. For this role to be successful, we will require the person to have a regular presence in the studio and therefore being 100% remote is not a possibility. We can and will assist financially with relocation for those looking to do so as well as sponsoring visas too.
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- +1 extra birthday holiday
- Flexible start time – work when works best for you!
- Access to Currys Tech Scheme
- Access to a Private Healthcare plan
- State of the art office facility – complete with a fully equipped bar, gym, pool table, multiple games rooms, high spec kitchen areas with breakfast provided…
- UK relocation financial assistance
- Regular employee socials such as game launch parties, Game Jams and more
- Free game codes for our latest titles
- Total 8% shared contribution pension
Have you made it this far?
If you’re still reading, we think there’s a strong chance you might be our kind of person.
Here’s the thing, though — research suggests that 60% of women and underrepresented folks might have already talked themselves out of applying. Even if you don’t check every box above, we want to encourage you to introduce yourself.
We believe a diversity of perspectives and experiences makes a team stronger — and the stronger our team, the closer we are to developing the best VR games possible.
XR Games is an award-winning game development studio specialising in immersive AR and VR content