Environment Concept Artist
That's No Moon is an independent studio of storytellers and game-makers who believe in the power of narrative-driven experiences. With a diverse team of talented developers, from some of the top game studios in the world (Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Bungie), our shared vision is to create the future of AAA experiences with a culture of creativity, collaboration, and responsible production practices. Our passionate team of developers help shape our studio, our projects, and our future.
We are seeking an Environment Concept Artist with a passion for bringing life to grounded worlds that create immersive game experiences and tell evocative stories. Working in a collaborative team with story, art, and gameplay, you will have the chance to define a new benchmark for environmental storytelling. You will be responsible for crafting a wide range of visual development, from reference and sketches to final concept art. With your help, we will push the industry to new heights of realism, beauty, gameplay, and storytelling!
- Work with the Art Director and Environment Concept Leads to research, collect, and organize reference and inspirations.
- Direct and create initial sketches/thumbnails to explore a range of visual design for the game and world.
- Leverage paint overs, ‘redlines’ and call outs of screenshots and 3d renders to facilitate the polishing of the game and game assets.
- Ensure that visual development faithfully embodies the story, gameplay, and art pillars.
- Work efficiently to meet concept milestones, schedules, and quality goals.
- Work at the highest level aesthetically while balancing scope, deadlines, and implementation considerations.
- Collaborate with the Environment Concept Lead and other departments to help define, implement, and execute the initial vision.
Requirements & Skills:
- 3+ years of experience in professional games or film concept design.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating the ability to create spectacular and visceral worlds demonstrating the best traditional and technical technique.
- Strong grasp of traditional art theory including composition, lighting, color, value, and shape language.
- Strong understanding of the organic natural world from plausible geology, and geography to flora and fauna.
- Grasp on architecture and industrial design and a passion for making grounded designs that would function in the real world
- Professional experience with Photoshop for sketching, painting, photo bashing, and color grading.
- Strong understanding of how to develop, implement and execute efficient reference, color keys, and concept management and workflows.
- (Bonus) Have worked on a AAA game as a concept artist.
- (Bonus) Experience with 3D programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Blender, Substance Painter etc.
- (Bonus) Knowledge, experience, or interest in using photos, scans, and 3D assets in the creation of concept art.
- (Bonus) Experience working with a game engine to manipulate lighting, LUTS and renders passes.
- (Bonus) Experience with PBR engines, materials, and the related technical terminology.
- Hardworking collaborator seeking to advance art and tech through intra-departmental and multi-discipline partnerships.
- Skilled and efficient communicators adapt at providing and receiving constructive feedback & direction across all departments.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to consistently meet production deadlines
- Great teammate invested in the success and development of the studio
- Able to communicate optimally, give constructive feedback and direction as well as adapt to creative and art direction
TNM considers a number of factors when determining each role's base pay range, including industry benchmarks, location, experience, and other job specific skills. In addition to base pay, this role may be eligible for other incentive compensation including equity and profit share. The estimated base pay range for this role is U.S. only and not applicable for locations outside of the U.S.
TNM offers competitive and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) match, unlimited PTO, supplemental life and disability, and more. Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part-time or temporary employees.
The estimated base pay range for this role is: $83,200 to $110,00
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
A new independent AAA development studio founded by award-winning game makers and storytellers