Character Concept Artist
As a Character Concept Artist at Heart Machine, you will work with the project leads and directors to create appealing and unique character designs and portraits.
If you're interested in collaborating with a kind, diverse and extraordinarily talented crew of people and working on the types of projects you dreamt of as a kid, please reach out to us.
- Design a range of characters from beautiful humanoids to monstrous creatures
- Illustrate final in-game character portrait images for dialogue sequences
- Create designs that work well up close and read simply at a distance
- Understand the story and gameplay goals and the role your art plays in the game
- Revise, edit, and respond to feedback from directors to meet story and style goals
- Excellent draftsmanship, with an eye for anatomy, form, appeal, and design
- Ability to work without line art and convey detail using value/color only
- Great taste in fashion and a comprehensive understanding of clothing styles and mechanics
- Expert in anatomy, capable of drawing beautiful, captivating portraits
- Strong sense of posing to convey emotions, attitudes, and relationships
- Can manage time efficiently and work independently
What will set you apart:
- Appreciation for and understanding of Heart Machine IP
- Passion for Japanese street fashion
- Understanding of game related workflows and gameplay-specific needs
- Open to feedback and collaboration
Everything sound exciting so far? Then apply now with your resume! Please include relevant work samples and/ or a link to your portfolio.
Compensation & Benefits
💲 Salary: In the United States, the standard base pay range for this role we have estimated is $50,000.00 - $95,000.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
- Competitive pay through bonus structures
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Flex PTO policy and 10 Federal holidays annually
- Paid parental leave
🌐 Location Flexibility: Work remotely or from the studio or Hybrid
⏲️ Full Time with Flexible Hours: Most staff maintain hours around 9a-6p PST. So long as you get the work done and are there for the meetings you are needed in, we trust you to manage your own time however makes sense to you.
Heart Machine is a close-knit team with our studio located in Los Angeles and talented team members all across the globe.
Although we are all passionate and work incredibly hard, our studio is not a crunch-factory - we like to live our lives, have holidays, and remain healthy throughout a project.
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard and respected, and folks from underrepresented groups have a place to share their passion and creativity. We believe welcoming different life perspectives is crucial to building better games, scaling our studio sustainably, and improving our understanding of one another.
We love creating adventures with engaging stories in beautiful, vibrant worlds.