Senior Character Concept Artist
Senior Character Concept Artist | Art
Full-time • Project MultiVersus
Player First Games builds best-in-class online game experiences for a passionate playerbase. Each member joining our team significantly impacts the game's direction and the company's growth.
Our studio comprises industry veterans and talented artists who are amazing teammates and collaborators. Benefits include company equity, health, life, and disability insurance, 401(k), flexible schedule, and paid time off (vacation/sick/holidays).
As a Senior Character Concept Artist at Player First Games, you will:
What you will do
- Consistently create stylized character concepts in the project’s artistic direction and aid others in maintaining that same level of quality
- Create character sheets, movement studies, and detailed breakouts to assist in modeling
- Collaborate and iterate on game assets with the production team via paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Assist with outsourced game art. Supporting and ensuring the game’s artistic vision. Providing feedback, maintaining documentation, and communicating on a daily basis
- Coordinating with other art leads, design, and production to help accomplish team goals
- Able to support the game’s artistic vision to both internal and external artists/teams. Providing feedback, maintaining documentation, and communicating on a daily basis
- Work closely with the Art Director, and Concept Artists to create concepts that work aesthetically and strengthen the style and artistic vision
- Work with 3D artists and our Outsourcing partners to finalize our character models and render concepts
- Clearly communicate updates and escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s)
What we are looking for
- Minimum of 7 years of industry experience as a concept artist and/or art lead
- Exceptional skill in creating traditional 2D art, especially stylized character designs
- A keen eye for design, form, shape, silhouette, and structure, and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game environments
- Deep understanding of human and animal anatomy and knowing how to stylize them
- Proven ability to create compelling and memorable characters with feelings and emotions
- Familiarity with video game product development – workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, VFX, and engine parameters/optimizations
- Shipped a game as a senior artist and helped oversee the quality of the art, and implementation
- A passion and excitement for collaboration. Creating exceptional entertaining game experiences is a team effort – you thrive when researching and conceptualizing ideas with like-minded teammates
- Positive, proactive problem-solver
- Lead by example and contribute to a positive, supportive, and inspiring studio culture
- A love for video games, movies, and animation – and often think about how to change/improve them
- Able to carry an idea from the conceptual stage to proving out the design in 3D, to the final render
Nice to have
- Has shipped an AAA console or PC title as a senior environment artist
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Mobile / Console / PC Games experience
- Working knowledge of 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, 3Ds Max, Zbrush
- Cinematic or television art production experience
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, lighting, staging, color, composition
- Estimated base pay range for this position: $101,000 - $150,000.
- Fully remote studio.
- Shared success in the company.
- World-class talent with experience in some of the industry’s biggest games, including God of War(™), League of Legends(™), Overwatch(™), and Call of Duty(™).
- A culture focused on player trust and player experience.
At Player First Games, we design experiences from the player’s perspective. We hold our players in the highest regard and hope to leave them satisfied and delighted with every interaction.
Player First Games is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law, where applicable, and those with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws.
EEO is the Law / Pay Transparency. Player First Games participates in E-Verify & Right to Work programs. Applicants have rights under Employment Laws.
If you require assistance or special accommodations during the application process, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note this communication resource is for accommodation requests only and not for general employment inquiries. Thank you for your interest in Player First Games.
We aspire to create the most trusted brand in gaming