Senior Environment Artist - VR
At Skydance Interactive, we believe in pushing the boundaries of what is possible in interactive entertainment. Innovation in game design, technology and storytelling is the passion that drives our agile studio of dedicated and talented game creators. Collaboration across all disciplines is vital to our success and is at the core of the inclusive culture we strive to foster every day.
We empower our employees to take ownership of the features they develop and create their own solutions when challenges arise. As our studio grows, we want to bring even more risk-takers, innovators and diverse voices along for the ride as we continue to create the games that will defy convention and define the future of the medium.
Following the success of our first VR title Archangel , we elevated our ambition and tackled The Walking Dead universe in VR. The result was the 2020 genre-defining hit The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners .
With the success of the award winning multi-platform hit The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, we are seeking a Senior Environment Artist for our upcoming next-generation VR game projects.
If you aspire to tell amazing stories through games with your artistic acumen, we’d love to hear from you.
- Create natural organic environments with a focus on mountain landscapes in UE5
- Generate high quality textures (tileable and atlassed) via procedural methods and/or sculpting
- Produce ultra realistic rock formations from modeling, sculpting, and/or procedural methods
- Create high quality terrain assets using custom authored textures
- Deliver optimized assets with specified criteria for the project
- Communicate across disciplines (tech, design, and production)
- Collaborate with team to transform concept art and designer gray box into fully realized levels that support gameplay and drive narrative.
- Innovate and communicate methods and procedures to improve quality, consistency, and efficiency for level art efforts
- High interest in organic asset creation (rocks, mountains, and terrain)
- Expert in terrain workflow (Gaea/World Machine and UE5)
- Expert in Zbrush and experience working in other 3D software packages
- Experience with PBR workflows (Substance Tools, Photoshop, etc.)
- Expert in procedural modeling and texture creation using Substance Designer and/or Quixel Mixer and Knowledge of the latest height map displacement workflow
- Good understanding of composition, color, lighting, and visual storytelling
- Experience in game development crafting playable environments (optimal frame rate, collision, etc.)
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, ability to adjust and recalibrate based on project needs
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Values rapid iteration and receives feedback well
- Ability to work independently with minimal input
- Quickly identify issues and select the proper tool
- Invent the right processes when tools are unavailable
- Ability to research and reverse engineer latest tech
- Experience with Houdini
- Experience on VR / AR projects
The salary range for this position in Los Angeles is $110,000 – $130,000. The salary offered may vary based on the candidate’s location, qualifications, experience and relevant expertise, among other factors. The range indicated is for base salary only and does not reflect the total compensation package, including bonus, benefits, etc.
We realize that skills and expertise can come from many different experiences and paths, and we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements as written in the job description.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Where imagination is being re-imagined